Yale University Acceptance Rate: Do you want to know what the SAT, ACT, GPA requirements and Yale Application fee is?
Are you considering getting into Yale University but you don’t know how to go about the application process?
Are you one of those who think that getting into Yale is an impossible feat?
Although we do not deny the fact that getting into Yale is tough, it’s not totally impossible. Of course, many students have made it into Yale University. All you need is the right requirements and sound advice and you’re in.
From our research, we do agree that the acceptance rate at Yale University is very low. However, low acceptance rates don’t mean you should give up on your dreams of getting into your choice institution.
Because we want you into Yale, we have summed up this piece to break down all you need to know to get in. This includes the SAT, ACT, GPA requirements and the cost of Yale Application fee.
Also we have put together an invaluable insight on what it takes to be one of the lucky few that make it into the prestigious Yale university.
If Yale is the school of your dreams, then this strategic guide will help you put together a solid application that stands out from the crowd!
Is that what you want? Read on!!!
But first let’s talk about Yale University
What You Need to Know About Yale University
Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Yale University is one of those ageless universities in the world. Since its inception in 1701, Yale has remained dedicated to “expanding and sharing knowledge, inspiring innovation, and preserving cultural and scientific information for future generations.”
This they do by partnering with the natives of New Haven as well as people and institutions worldwide.
As a university of repute, Yale ranks #5 in the 2022 US News Best Colleges list.
Many love Yale because of its a hotspot for student service, activism organizations, cultural clubs, and even secret societies. This contributes to the reason why it has a large student population.
The college has about 4,703 undergraduate students as of fall 2020. Most of these students live in one of the 14 residential colleges.
Is Yale The Best School For You?
What is good for the goose may not always be good for the gander. Believe it or not, Yale isn’t for everyone.
Most applicants apply to Yale because of the name or simply because it’s an Ivy League school. If that’s why you’re applying, trust me that’s a lame reason to want to get into Yale University.
Yale is good for students who want to become the best in their field of endeavor through good education and training.
However, if your grades, extracurriculars, and future goals align with Yale’s mission, you can’t imagine yourself not going to school anywhere else.
We do know that Yale has a track record of academic excellence, however, if it’s not your kind of taste, why bother!!!
Yale University Rankings 2022
As an elite university, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Yale topping the charts in the list of top universities in the world.
Here we show you how Yale ranks in different school rankings in the world in 2022.
The US News & World Report ranked Yale #5 in their Best Colleges for 2022. Also, QS World University Rankings also ranks Yale #14 in 2022 .
Other Notable Yale Rankings include;
- #1 in Best Value Schools
- #2 in Undergraduate Research/Creative Projects (tie)
- #3 in Learning Communities
- #3 in Writing in the Disciplines (tie)
- #19 in Most Innovative Schools (tie)
- #20 in Study Abroad (tie)
- #31 in Best Undergraduate Teaching (tie)
How Hard Is It To Get Into Yale University?
Just before we tell you how application to Yale can be a herculean task, first and foremost, you need to know that Yale is one of the most selective colleges in the world.
It’s pretty tough to get into Yale.
Besides the not-so-favorable Yale University acceptance rate, the 2020-2021 admissions cycle shows that the process is very competitive.
Some of the factors that contribute to making Yale one of the most difficult and selective universities is the test-optional admissions policies.
Out of 33% extra applications Yale received than the previous year, the University only offered 2,169 students admissions out of the 46,905 students.
From these records we see that getting into Yale is not a one-day preparation, it’s kind of hard.
What Is Yale University Acceptance Rate?
The acceptance rate at Yale University is 4.62% as of 2021. This is a huge decline from 5.9% which was the university’s acceptance rate in 2018.
Many say that the reason for this decline can be traced to the fact that the SAT and ACT test requirements are now test-optional.
Take a peek into the Yale Admission Statistics for the Class of 2025
|Yale Admission Statistics for the Class of 2025
|Overall Acceptance Rate
|Regular Decision Applications
|Regular Decision Acceptance Rate
|International Student Acceptance Rate
What is the Yale University Transfer acceptance rate?
The Yale University transfer acceptance rate is 1.76% as applicants eventually exceed the available number of spaces.
Many students apply to Yale as soon as the transfer window opens. The majority of these applications are from students at other universities in the United States, with the remainder coming from other continents such as Africa and Asia.
Of course, Yale cannot accept all of these applications, therefore the majority of them are rejected. However, before they do so, they review the applications to ensure that they meet the eligibility standards.
What is the Yale Graduate School acceptance rate?
Yale University Graduate school acceptance rate is 12%. And it is slightly higher than that of the undergraduate program.
For candidates interested in graduate degrees, Yale Graduate School offers a variety of programs. Although each department has its own set of standards, we will list the most common ones.
Notably, all students enrolled in the Graduate program are required to hold a resident permit. Because you will not be accepted unless you provide your residence permission.
Yale University’s Graduate School has approximately 50 programs and departments. As a result, accepted applicants can choose from a variety of courses.
It is usually feasible to enroll as a non-degree student at the Graduate School. Non-degree students receive a transcript and many of the perks of being a Yale student, but they do not graduate with a degree.
Non-degree programs at Yale are divided into three categories:
- Exchange Scholars — To be eligible, you must be a current student at a school that has a formal exchange program with Yale. Exchange Scholars may take classes or do research at Yale.
- Visiting Assistants in Research (VAR) — If you are an advanced graduate student currently enrolled at another university and want to do full-time dissertation research at Yale, you may be eligible for the VAR program. VARs are not permitted to enroll in classes.
- Visiting Students — If you have a bachelor’s degree, you may apply to take classes at Yale with the program’s authorization.
What is the Yale Masters of Public Health(MPH) acceptance rate?
The acceptance rate for Yale’s Masters of Public Health (MPH) program is 4.7 percent. And this is due to the fact that Yale receives over 11,000 applications and accepts only 500.
The Masters of Public Health program is designed for those with a variety of academic backgrounds and experience who wish to work in public health.
The two-year program includes twenty course units spread across four semesters and a summer internship. Students must also complete a master’s thesis or a synthetic course.
In general, the program provides students with a specialization in one of the departments or the health care management program, which provides students with practical learning experiences in the area.
A significant percentage of students complete their departmental studies by pursuing a range of concentrations, tracks, and interdisciplinary programs. As a result, you can experiment and discover new methods to personalize and enrich your degree.
What is the acceptance rate at Yale School of Nursing?
The nursing school at Yale University got 615 applications for its master’s degree program. Only 142 were admitted, making the program one of the least popular.
The average admission percentage among the ten schools with the fewest applicants was 23.08 percent.
Moreso, the faculty of the YSN has given birth to innovative ideas that have shaped modern nursing. Effie Taylor, the second dean of the YSN, was the world’s first psychiatric nursing teacher, and she advanced in mental health.
The World Health Organization’s definition of nursing is based on Yale nursing concepts. They also called for universal access to publicly funded health care and for nurses to take a larger role in primary care.
Florence S. Wald, the school’s fourth dean, was a pioneer in the care movement in the United States, establishing the country’s first hospice hospital.
More than 90 years after its inception, the YSN continues to train nurses to be agents of social and political change aimed at promoting the health of all people.
What is Yale NUS acceptance rate?
Every year, the college receives over 9,000 applicants, with just 600 of them being accepted. As a result, the YaleNUS acceptance rate is 6.67%.
YaleNUS Institution is a Singaporean residential college. As a result, they have set an aim of redefining liberal arts and scientific education in a complex and linked world.
YaleNUS is an institute where a group of people dedicated to community and society become change agents. Furthermore, these individuals instill a sense of curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking.
This school adheres to its founders’ founding ideas of innovative research and education. As a result, YaleNUS is entirely focused on undergraduate education.
Their unshakable dedication to the values of pluralism and idea-sharing is of the utmost importance. And they are always looking for ways to promote higher education around the world.
What is the Yale Business School acceptance rate?
The acceptance rate for Yale Business School/School of Management is 23.07 percent. In comparison to other Yale schools, this admittance rate is quite high.
The Yale School of Management is also known as the Yale Business School. This name change reflects a reduction in the number of programs and structures.
Indeed, the management school currently provides a multiplicity of degrees geared at developing educated and forward-thinking individuals who will grow firms and be agents of positive economic change.
Yale promotes this understanding through courses such as asset management, global business, and society and systemic risk.
What is the Yale Engineering acceptance rate?
The acceptance rate for Yale Engineering is 10%.
Yale, like any other outstanding university engineering department, teaches its students the fundamentals of science and technology, current software tools, and device and system design.
Most Yale educators are involved in cutting-edge research, and students have the same opportunity to participate.
Depending on their preparation and the nature of the investigation, a student may begin the investigation at any moment.
However, many students begin as early as the summer following their first year.
Yale engineering students receive a lot of one-on-one attention from their lecturers, therefore the Yale School of Engineering and Applied Sciences has 80 faculty and 175 students in total.
The mentorship program is built on the relationship between professors and their students. As a result, many professors involve university students in their research.
What Does It Take To Get Into Yale University?
As much as the acceptance rate, SAT, ACT, GPA requirements, and the application fee are very important considerations when applying to Yale University, it’s not all there is.
Having all these in sync can only get you a step closer to Yale but not in.
So what actually gets you into Yale University?
Matter of factly, you need to be in the top 10% of your class to be able to have a shot at getting into Yale. Yale is not for the ordinary.
Here are some of the things Yale University Admission Committee Look Out For;
- Students who excel in a wide range of challenging courses.
- They also consider letters of recommendation that talk about how your energy, curiosity, and drive helped you excel in and out of the classroom.
- Most definitely, they look at your high GPA. Your high school transcript is the most crucial part of your application.
- Also, they look for exceptional engagement, ability, and promise.
- Also, Yale loves student leaders who lead in their community and in their particular area of interest.
- In addition, they want students who will make the most of their abundant on-campus resources, stretch the limits of their talents, and use all they have to improve the world around them.
How the Yale University Admission Committee Thinks!!!
Now you know what the admission committee looks out for, it’s another thing to channel your application in response to how Adcom thinks.
Majorly, these two questions guide the Yale admissions team:
- Who is likely to make the most out of Yale’s resources?
- Who will contribute most significantly to the Yale community?
Your grades, SAT and ACT requirements, essays, letter of recommendation should be geared towards answering those Yale University Admission Committee questions.
Grades and test scores might get you through the door, but they probably won’t help you stand out.
Your application will come to life through your extracurricular activities and essays.
Now that you know how the Yale admission committee thinks, here is what you can do to get past the University acceptance rate;
- Build your profile to a high level of accomplishment in whatever area you excel at. Ensure you show yourself as a leader in your field.
- Yale likes social enterprise since it’s in line with Yale’s mission, therefore, focus on giving back to the community through high-impact activities. .
- Strive for 10’s across the board. Do your best to level up as much as possible in your high school career.
- Take the time to research Yale before starting your supplemental essays. SHOW rather than tell why you’re a good fit for Yale and how you’ll contribute to their community.
How Do I Stand Out In My Yale Application?
The goal of this guide is to help your application stand out in the midst of other outstanding applicants. Your application needs to breathe life.
On the goal to stand out, keep in mind that Yale’s general application process is similar to the rest of the Ivy League schools.
Use every part of the application to reveal a piece of your good real self. This helps the admissions committee to picture you on campus.
If they are able to visualize you participating in student clubs and organizations, utilizing their extensive resources, and applying what you’ve learned, they’re more likely to admit you.
Yale University Admission Requirements.
Besides the acceptance rate, here are the overall Yale University application requirements:
- School Report with Transcript
- Standardized Test Results (optional)
- Application (Coalition/Common/QuestBridge)
- Yale-Specific Questions (Supplemental Essays)
- Letters of Recommendation (two academic teachers & one counselor)
- Mid-year Report (when first semester grades are available)
Yale GPA Requirements
The average GPA requirement to get into Yale University is 4.14. What this insinuates is that you get to have nearly straight A’s to compete with other Yale prospective hopefuls.
Although the GPA requirements are an important consideration, if you do not have a high GPA as the average stated, you may be able to compensate with high SAT and ACT test scores, glowing letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities that complement Yale’s mission.
Yale SAT Requirements
Here is the SAT requirements at Yale University;
- Students must score between 1460-1580.
- It’s optional to submit SAT Writing sections.
- Yale SAT subject tests must be two with only one being the math test.
Yale ACT Requirements
- ACT scores typically range from 33-35.
- It’s optional to submit their ACT Essay.
Take a peek into the SAT and ACT Score Ranges of Admitted Yale Students in 2021.
|Score Range (25th & 75th Percentile)
|740 – 800
|720 – 780
|31 – 35
|34 – 36
|33 – 35
Letters of Recommendation Requirements
Here are some important things to note when requesting a letter of recommendation that you will use for the Yale University application;
- Yale requires three letters of recommendation (two academic teachers and one counselor).
- These letters do not have to come from the class where you received your highest grades.
- The letters of recommendation should come from a teacher or counselor who knows you well and can give Yale the broadest picture of who you are and why you should be part of the Yale community.
- The counselor you choose should talk about your leadership positions at the school and how you contributed to the school community as a whole.
- Also, keep in mind that your letters of recommendation for Yale are another great way to make your application come to life. They should reveal attributes about you not found in any other part of the application.
We also recommend you visit the school’s website for specific application requirements.
How Do I Write Outstanding Yale Application Essays?
Getting past the Yale University acceptance rate is one thing, one of the factors that make that possible is an outstanding application essay.
Do not be among the number of students who believe that application essays are the least important part of the Yale application.
We are here to let you know that they are unavoidable and actually extremely important!
In your Yale application essays, you get to write about your activities, hobbies, and important experiences. In it, you get to explain why you’re perfect for Yale.
Yale Application Essays come in many forms. Based on the application platform you choose, this essay may slightly vary.
However it comes, Yale requires nine responses – seven short answer questions and two short essays.
Short Answer Questions Essays
- Why do these areas appeal to you? (125 words or fewer)
- What is it about Yale that has led you to apply? (125 words or fewer)
- What inspires you? (200 characters or fewer; approx. 35 words)
- Yale’s residential colleges regularly host conversations with guests representing a wide range of experiences and accomplishments. What person, past or present, would you invite to speak? What question would you ask? (200 characters or fewer; approx. 35 words)
- You are teaching a Yale course. What is it called? (200 characters or fewer; approx. 35 words)
- Yale students embrace the concept of “and” rather than “or,” pursuing arts and sciences, tradition and innovation, defined goals and surprising detours. What is an example of an “and” that you embrace? (200 characters or fewer; approx. 35 words)
Two Short Essays
- 1A. Tell us about your engagement with a topic or idea that excites you. Why are you drawn to it? (250 words or fewer)
- 1B. Respond to one of the following prompts: (250 words or fewer)
- 2A. Reflect on a community to which you feel connected. Why is it meaningful to you? You may define community however you like.
- 2B. Reflect on something that has given you great satisfaction. Why has it been important to you?
Now you can see there is more getting into Yale University other than their acceptance rate, application fee, SAT, ACT, and GPA requirements!!!
Does Yale Consider Extracurricular Activities as Part of The Selection Process?
Yes, as much as the Yale application fee adds to the university’s purse, Yale would not accept you if you do not have an extracurricular history.
So, yes, Yale University considers your extracurricular engagements. In fact, it’s a major selection criterion.
However, keep in mind that Yale is not interested in every activity you participated in during grades 9-12. All they want to know is the extracurricular activities that mattered to you.
They should be relevant to your college and career goals, and most importantly align with Yale’s mission. We advise you to pinpoint the major ones because there are a limited number of spaces for extracurriculars.
Can I Apply To Yale As An International Student?
Yes, you can apply to Yale as an international student. Both local and international students have the same acceptance rate as long as you’re applying to Yale University.
The application process is the same for all students except for a few minor differences. If you’re a Non-native English-speaker, you’re strongly encouraged to take one of the following English language proficiency tests:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): A TOEFL score of at least 100 on the online TOEFL or 25 on each of the three sections of the paper TOEFL test is required.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Competitive applicants have a score of 7 or higher on this test.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Competitive applicants have a score of 70 or higher on this test.
- Duolingo English Test (DET): This test includes an English proficiency test and a brief video interview which can be completed anywhere with internet access. Competitive applicants have scores of at least 120 on the DET.
- InitialView: Rather than a test, InitialView provides live, unscripted video interviews. These interviews do not have scores.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Yale University Acceptance Rate.
What Application System Does Yale Use?
Applications accepted by Yale include;
- The Coalition Application with Yale-Specific Questions which costs about $80.
- The QuestBridge Application with Yale QuestBridge Questionnaire does not require any application fee but only QuestBridge Finalists may apply with this application.
How Much Does It Cost To Attend Yale University?
The cost of Yale University is high. It’s an Ivy League school so the cost is high. Here is the cost for the 2021-2022 academic school year.
The total cost of attending Yale University as of 2021-2022 is about $77,750.
Is Yale a Need-Blind School?
Just like we stated in our Harvard University Acceptance Rate article, Yale is a Need-blind school.
It is the first private research university in America to establish need-blind admissions and need-based financial aid for undergraduates.
Does Yale Give Scholarships Or Financial Aid?
As a Need-blind school, Yale only offers need-based financial aid and categorically they will meet 100% of demonstrated needs without loans.
For scholarships, Yale does not offer merit-based scholarships. Therefore, students can apply for these types of scholarships through other organizations.
Does Yale Offer International Students Financial Aid?
Yes! International students can apply for financial aid at Yale University.
Is Yale harder than Harvard?
No. Harvard is more difficult due to the higher SAT score benchmark.
When is the Application Deadline at Yale University?
While considering the acceptance rate, also keep in mind the application deadline for admission into Yale University.
Yale offers two application deadlines for first-year undergraduate students.
- Yale early action and regular action application deadline which is by November 1st each year.
- Single-Choice Early Action application deadline is by January 2nd 2022.
What is Life After Yale Like?
Getting past the stringent Yale University acceptance rate, GPA, SAT, ACT requirements as well as paying the required application fee is not just for fun.
One of the benefits of going to Yale is that they prepare you not only to be professional but you will end up earn well.
Newsweek ranked Yale as the #7 private college whose graduates earn the most money. Records show that 91.7% get employed within six months of graduation. Each earning about $71,030 in the United States.
A Yale degree opens doors to some of the most high-profile global firms in the world.
Some of Yale’s most famous and distinguished alumni include:
- Meryl Streep: Actress
- Edward Norton: Actor
- Sigourney Weaver: Actress
- Charles Ives: Composer
- Ben Silbermann: Co-founder, Pinterest
- Chris Cuomo: American Television Journalist
- George H.W. Bush: 41st President of the US.
- Samuel Morse: Inventor of the single-wire telegraph and co-inventor of Morse Code
- Bob Woodward: Washington Post Investigative Journalist
What are the Most Popular Majors at Yale?
- Social Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services
If you aspire to attend Yale University, you’re not having a bad thought. However, we will not fail to let you know that it’s a tough journey of great preparedness.
Every piece of your application matters, so find ways to give each section a little extra boost.
Keep in mind that when it comes to who gets into Yale, sometimes the subtle differences make all the difference.
- What Is Yale’s Acceptance Rate and Admissions Requirements?
- How To Get Into Yale: Breaking Down Admission Requirements With Our College Admission Experts