Western Illinois University’s (WIU)’s acceptance rate is a major criterion for aspirants when deciding to choose WIU as their first choice institution.
With an acceptance rate of 67%, the university has a slightly selective admittance process and students who apply to WIU have a fairly high chance of being accepted if only they meet the admissions requirement.
Western Illinois University aims to be the leading public regional university in providing quality educational opportunities and affordability. Since its acceptance rate is above average, the university is on the right path to academic success.
Why Choose WIU?
Numerous undergraduate and graduate degree programs, many of which have strong job placement rates, are available to students at WIU. Additionally, the university offers its exclusive Cost Guarantee program, which locks tuition, fees, and board for four years of continuous enrollment.
Furthermore, Western Illinois University values a person’s holistic development. The institution is dedicated to providing adequate chances for personal development in a transforming educational setting that encourages the growth of wellness, moral decision-making, and individual accountability in the global society.
Is WIU hard to get into?
Western Illinois University has a 67% acceptance rate. In Illinois, it has the 27th-lowest acceptance rate. If you meet the standards, you have a good chance of getting accepted to Western Illinois University, which has a fairly demanding admissions process. Out of 7,603 candidates, 5,091 were accepted the previous year.
The institution has exceptionally lax SAT and ACT entrance standards, typically admitting students with scores in the top 72% (SAT 880/1090, ACT 18/24).
With an average GPA of roughly 2.75 and a “B+” average in high school, Western Illinois University frequently accepts and draws these students. Most first-year students graduate in the top half of their class. Of those accepted, 21% opted to enroll in the university.
Tuition and Costs – Western Illinois University
The Tuition and fees are charged per credit hour and are collected at the start of each semester.
Tuition at Western Illinois University is $12,441 a semester for in-state students and $12,441 for out-of-state students. Western Illinois University is more costly than the national average in-state tuition of $11,286. Tuition for out-of-state students is less than the national average of $27,394 for out-of-state tuition.
These values include tuition as well as fees, generally known as the sticker price. Fees vary by university and can be used to pay for library services, student gyms, student centers, technological resources, and campus health clinics.
To estimate costs for the semester, use the online Cost Estimator. The cost estimator is not a bill and does not replace any bill you may receive. It is merely intended to provide you with an estimate of what your charges might be.
What is the WIU Acceptance Rate?
It is important to know the acceptance rate of WIU to improve your chances of getting into the university.
WIU acceptance rate is 67%, this implies that for every 100 applicants, only 67 are accepted. As an important note, applicants should ensure they meet the GPA and SAT/ACT requirements. This is very crucial in passing the first round of review and proving your academic preparation.
What is the WIU Transfer Acceptance Rate?
If you are interested in applying to WIU as a transfer student, the University has an average acceptance rate of 63%. Although admissions are competitive, transfer students have a fair chance of being considered.
To show their academic preparedness, transfer students should ensure that they have good grades and other vital skills to make them stand out among other applicants.
What is WIU MBA Acceptance Rate?
According to USNEWS, the WIU MBA acceptance rate is 76%. The Master of Business Administration (MBA) program at Western Illinois University offers a high-value, low-cost certification that is tailored to your educational and career goals.
Western Illinois University, an AACSB-accredited institution, prepares its MBA graduates for socially responsible leadership and managerial responsibilities in an interconnected, global, and varied corporate world. Face-to-face courses in Macomb, Livestream courses, or totally online for a purely asynchronous learning environment all provide increased staff and student participation.
Choose from eleven specializations, such as business analytics, health services administration, and supply chain management, which provides specific information to help you advance your career.
WIU Acceptance Rate by Major
The qualified and diverse faculty at Western Illinois University encourages critical thinking, immersive learning, research, and creativity in a demanding, encouraging learning environment.
WIU offers a variety of Majors that its students can select from without feeling restricted. Currently, the university offers 65 courses for undergraduates, 19 postgraduate courses, 37 master’s programs, and two undergraduate certificate programs along with 2 programs for doctoral studies.
Some of the most popular majors include
- Engineering Technology
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Speech Pathology
WIU offers an Integrated Bachelor of Business/Master of Accountancy (IAP) program. The IAP is introduced toward preparation for professional careers in accountancy and is available for students currently enrolled in the undergraduate Accounting program at Western.
With an acceptance rate of 2.7%, this means that the admittance rate to study this major is very competitive.
One of the most fundamental scientific disciplines with immediate human applications is biology. How we solve biological issues will determine how long humans can live on Earth.
WIU provides excellent research opportunities and a high teacher-to-student ratio for its biology major. Students are expected to have a 3.0 GPA to be considered.
Biology Major has a selective acceptance rate of 4.6%.
Graduates of the Engineering Technology degree program are beneficiaries of the following:
- Internship opportunities
- Small student-to-faculty ratio
- Collaborative learning environment
- Industry certifications
- High-income earnings
- Ability to work in a team environment
The acceptance rate is 1.4% and this means that the faculty is serious about the students it admits.
Liberal Arts and Sciences
With an acceptance rate of 9.5%, the Liberal Arts and Sciences Program offers three integrated bachelor’s/master’s program options for students currently enrolled in the following undergraduate programs at WIU:
- Foreign Languages and Cultures
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
Speech Pathology (SPA) faculty offer extensive clinical experience in both speech-language pathology and audiology across a range of settings including schools, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and private practice.
Since the acceptance rate is 3.2%, applicants are expected to have a minimum of 3.0 GPA to be considered for the program.
What is the Admission Requirement for WIU?
The admission process into WIU is moderately selective. Applicants interested in getting admission to Western Illinois University programs are expected to maintain a good academic record along with developing certain skills that can make their application unique.
Applicants are expected to have the following admissions requirements to be considered for the undergraduate program
Application Portal: University UG Admissions Portal
- Application Fee: 30 USD
- Although optional, ACT/SAT scores and high school GPA while reviewing applications. (SAT: 1030, ACT: 20)
- Statement Of Purpose to study in the US
- With a 2.75+ GPA on a 4.0 scale OR a 3.44+ GPA on a 5.0 scale, applicants will be admitted. However, with a 2.0-2.74 GPA on a 4.0 scale OR 2.5-3.43 GPA on a 5.0 scale, prospective student’s applications will be reviewed and additional information may be requested.
- Letters of recommendation are considered for those applicants whose test scores or GPA is less than the class average
- Official transcripts are required to complete the application. The official transcripts should be sent to Western Illinois University either through mail or by employing a secure delivery service.
- Applicants are expected to complete all of the core subjects’ prerequisites for them to be considered for general admission. These include English – 4 years of courses, Mathematics – 3 years of courses, Natural Science – 3 years of courses, Social Science – 3 years of courses, Other – 2 years of electives.
Graduate Admission Programs
WIU offers a good number of graduate degree programs. While the admission requirements for different master’s programs may differ slightly, their general procedure remains the same.
Application Portal: WIU Graduate Application
- Application Fee: 30 USD
- All academic transcripts
- A relevant degree comparable to a recognized US Bachelor’s degree
- International Application for Admission (to be completed online)
- Official scores of GRE or GMAT as specified
- English language proficiency requirements
- Financial documentation proving adequate funding
- LORs to study in the US
- Writing Sample
Transfer Requirement for WIU
WIU is a transfer-friendly school. The University is one of the few schools that have a moderately selective acceptance rate of 63%.
Also, the university offers an array of undergraduate programs in which students can major. Some of these programs include law enforcement & justice administration, biology, chemistry, music, psychology and agriculture, accountancy, and elementary education.
To be eligible for admission into WIU, transfer students must have the following admission requirements
- Application fee: 30 USD
- Have a combined GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale for all college-level coursework attempted and good standing at the last institution attended.
- SAT: Applicants with less than 24 credits of transferable college work must submit their standardized test scores
- Official transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation
- An essay or personal statement
- The maximum number of credits or courses that may be transferred from a two-year institution is 50 and from a four-year institution is 90. You must earn 30 credits at Western Illinois to earn a bachelor’s degree
What GPA do I need to get into WIU?
WIU is dedicated to admitting students whose academic records are excellent and indicate a very high potential for academic success.
Freshmen and transfer students seeking admission into WIU are expected to have the average GPA or required test scores to boost it.
Candidates with a minimum 2.75 cumulative high school GPA or higher on a 4.00 scale will be admitted into the university.
However, candidates with a 2.00–2.74 cumulative high school GPA are eligible for a review of credentials before being considered for admission.
What are WIU’s Deadlines?
If you are considering applying to WIU, then applicants must get familiar with the deadline dates to avoid missing the year’s academic session.
For international students, application deadlines for students applying for undergraduate and graduate programs are as follows
- Fall – April 1
- Spring – October 1
- Summer – January 15
For all other candidates, the regular deadline is May 1.
What are WIU Decision Dates?
The admission board sets decision dates after the coalition of all applications. Candidates after submitting their application forms shall receive the decision offer between 2-4 weeks.
The decision dates for WIU are May 15 and July 31.
How to Apply to WIU
To be considered for admission into WIU, applicants are expected to have the admission requirements either as a freshman, transfer, or international student.
After acquiring the admission prerequisite, applicants should proceed to the WIU website and fill out the application forms.
To apply for the undergraduate program, the following steps should be carried out.
- Create an account: Applicants are advised to use an email other than their school email to create their account. This will allow you to continue to receive emails from WIU after you have graduated.
- The fee to complete an application is $30. Applicants on free or reduced lunch qualify for an application fee waiver.
- Incoming freshmen have the option to self-report their test scores, GPA,, and grades that will be used to make their admission decision. Juniors may apply now and can provide self-reported information or a transcript after completion of the junior year.
- You must have completed your junior year to self-report your academic information.
- You may want a copy of your transcript to reference when responding to the self-reported academic questions
Frequently Asked Questions On WIU Acceptance Rate
Does the university provide interactive learning sessions for candidates?
The Western Illinois University (WIU) On-campus has a student-faculty ratio of 13:1 which is mOn-campus preferable for many aspiring candidates.
What is the tuition fee for undergraduate students?
The tuition fee for undergraduate students is $14,261. Also, On-Campus room and other expenses are around $13,053.
How long does it take for my application to be processed?
Once we have received all your information, you should receive a decision within 2-4 weeks.
How will I be notified of my acceptance?
You will receive an email sent to the address provided on your application as well as an acceptance piece in the mail that will provide additional information about housing, registration, and financial aid.
WIU has consistently been recognized as the “Best Midwestern College” by the Princeton Review, portraying its academic excellence.
Also, WIU values the total development of each student and is committed to providing opportunities for personal growth and improvement in a standard educational environment.
- collegedunia.com – Western Illinois University Admissions
- ghanadmission.com – Western Illinois University Admission Requirements 2022/2023
- wiu.edu – Freshman Admission Standards for High School Students
- collegetransfer.net – Transfer Student Requirement
- student.services.wiu.edu – Undergraduate Admissions Application
- Catholic University Of America Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How To Apply
- Pitzer Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
- Macalester Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
- Davidson Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How To Apply