University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate: International Students seeking to study at Edinburgh for master’s program or another should consider its admission rate in 2022.
Over the years, the University of Edinburgh has nurtured some of the greatest minds in the world.
Without doubts, Edinburgh University is one of the most respected universities in Scotland and the UK at large. For this reason, its prowess beyond its name attracts students from all walks of life to apply to the school.
This invariably brings the question “What is Edinburgh University’s acceptance rate for international students?” to the mind of most applicants.
This guide gives you the figures of the University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate for masters and undergraduate programs for international students in 2022.
Also, we have put together the admission requirements for prospective Edinburgh students.
While preparing your requirements, know that Edinburgh accepts students who are beyond academically good. The admission process is not really that stringent, all you have to do is to have the required requirements.
Also, we will show you how to get into Edinburgh clearing the assertion that getting into the University is impossible.
Following this guide thoroughly you will agree with me that going into Edinburgh is not hard after all.
You will find reasonable tips to make your application outstanding from the pool of other hopefuls.
But before that, let’s give you insight into the prestigious Edinburgh!!!
Details About The University of Edinburgh.
- Location: Old College, South Bridge, Edinburgh EH8 9YL, United Kingdom.
Edinburgh is a public research university in Edinburgh, Scotland established in 1582.
Just like most UK universities, the University of Edinburgh has stood the taste of time. It is one of the four Scotland ancient universities and the sixth-oldest university in the English-speaking world.
As a top research institution in the UK, Edinburgh is part of many research-intensive corporations such as the League of European Research Universities, Coimbra Group, Russell Group, Una Europa, and Universitas 21.
The University of Edinburgh has five campuses in Scotland that house about 44,510 students with a class size of 22 students.
The University of Edinburgh 2022 Rankings
The University of Edinburgh is famous for its research-oriented programs. This has gained it global recognition and constituents ranking in various University Rankings.
Edinburgh University has been consistently ranked among the top 50 universities of the world. Also, it has been featured in QS World University Rankings 2022.
Here are some of the top spots for Edinburgh in Rankings;
- 4th in the QS UK University Rankings
- #16 QS World University Rankings 2022
- #30 World University Rankings 2022 by THE
- #05 in Best Global Universities in the United Kingdom by US News & World Report 2022
- #06 in Best Global Universities in Europe by US News & World Report 2022
- #32 in Best Global Universities by US News & World Report 2022
- #45 World Rank by CWUR 2021- 2022
- #06 National Rank by CWUR 2021- 2022
Is the University of Edinburgh A Good School?
In the list of top 10 colleges in the UK, Edinburgh is part of the list. Consistently, Edinburgh University has ranked in the top 50 universities in the world and the top 10 in the UK.
This reputation Edinburgh has gained by offering quality and unique education to her students in the area of research and learning.
Its unique system of education has carved a space for it in the international education system. Mainly for profound research and teaching excellence.
Besides that, the University of Edinburgh ranks in good positions in different University ranking lists as one of the best Universities in the United Kingdom and the world at large.
Is Getting into Edinburgh University Hard?
Compared to the acceptance rate of universities in the USA, getting into Edinburgh is not that hard for international students due to its moderate admission rate.
Even with the average acceptance rate, you need to be a little bit extra to have a spot in Edinburgh. This is so because many of the Edinburgh hopefuls are quite exceptional students seeking the same spot as you.
Therefore, applying to Edinburgh is like fighting for first place in a competition with fellow highly intelligent students.
However, the case may be, if your application fits the description of the admission committee idea of the perfect “Edinburgh Student”, you’re in.
To be able to do this, you must have the requirements and a phenomenal profile that says “I’m the Perfect Student”.
Your personal chances of acceptance depend on the strength of your profile.
This we will discuss further as we proceed!!!
What Courses Does Edinburgh Offer To International Students Who Get Past the Acceptance Rate?
Edinburgh has a lot of courses for students that are housed in different departments and divisions.
Edinburgh has more than 300 taught courses and 180 research-oriented programs.
These courses span full-time degrees and short-term courses encompassing wide-ranging subjects.
Most of the University of Edinburgh courses are very competitive and have their own acceptance rate in 2022.
Below is a list of some of the competitive or most applied courses at the University of Edinburgh.
Most Competitive Edinburgh Undergraduate Courses and their Acceptance Rate.
- BA Textiles 17%
- BA Fashion 15%
- The BA Illustration 16%
- BA Animation 12%
- BA Interior Design 14%
- The BA Product Design 16%
- BA Graphic Design 10%
- BA Film and Television 7.7%
- BSc Oral Health Sciences 12%
- BMUH Music Technology 17%
Most Competitive Edinburgh Graduate Courses and their Acceptance Rate.
- MA Fashion 6.1%
- MSc English Language 8%
- MSc Business Analytics 8.9%
- The MSc Applied Linguistics 4.4%
- MSc Social Psychology 6.8%
- MSc Accounting and Finance 7%
- The MSc Finance and Investment 8.3%
- MSc Developmental Linguistics 6.9%
- PGDE Secondary Education (History) 6.3%
- PGDE Secondary Education (Physical Education) 8.7%
What Is the Acceptance Rate For International Students in The University of Edinburgh in 2022?
The University of Edinburgh is one of the elite schools in Scotland that has quite a welcoming acceptance rate for International Students and residents.
However, the Edinburgh acceptance rate differs by course as we stated above.
Currently, the University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate for undergraduate admissions is 46% while that for masters and postgraduate programs is 48%.
This means that out of every 100 applicants for undergraduate studies, 46 students successfully get admission.
On the other hand, out of every 100 applicants for graduate studies, 48 students successfully get admission.
What is the University of Edinburgh Admission Statistics?
From the Edinburgh graduate and undergraduate admission statistics, we see that for every two applicants for the same program, one has a better chance of getting into the University.
|Number of students accepted
Thus, we say from the University of Edinburgh acceptance rate and undergraduate and master’s program admission statistics that admission into Edinburgh is competitive.
What Are The Admission Requirements to Get Into The University of Edinburgh?
Now you know how difficult it is to get into Edinburgh University, you need to gather your documents to check off the requirements in your list.
So here in this section, we have extensively discussed the admission requirements for international students to apply to the University of Edinburgh in 2022.
The right requirements will make you stand a better chance. For clarity, we have sectioned this part to give you an easy guide.
The institution has particularly stated its criteria for the applicants as follows:
Admission Requirements for Master’s Students in the University of Edinburgh.
- Admission essays
- Statement of Purpose.
- Letters of Recommendations.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum score of 60%.
- Proof of English proficiency from IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE Academic.
- Relevant amount of work experience as specified by the university for each program.
- Extra-curricular activities participated in and awards won.
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Students in the University of Edinburgh.
- Undergraduate students in Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences must have an 80% score with 75% in three subjects in class 10+2.
- Undergraduate students in Science and Engineering must have an 80% score with 75% in English in class 10+2.
- UG students in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine must have 80% overall with 85% in Chemistry & Biology and 75% in English in class 10+2.
- Proof of English proficiency from IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE Academic
- Financial documents showing enough funds to cover the tuition fees.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Passport Copy ID pages
Note: These eligibility criteria are generic. However, other additional application requirements are course-specific.
To have a better understanding, visit the exact course page on the official website and check the ‘Entry Requirements’.
How Do I Get Into Edinburgh University?
Now you know the requirements and essential documents next is to know how undergraduate and master’s international students can get past the University of Edinburgh acceptance rate.
So, how do you get into Edinburgh?
Here are the steps to maximize your chances of getting into Edinburgh.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.25.
- Be active in extracurricular activities that align with Edinburgh values.
- Have a track record of personal growth, leadership and other less quantifiable characteristics.
- Write a stellar essay that shows the Edinburgh university admission committee about you.
- Get at least one recommendation letter from a teacher in that department.
- Apply before the deadline.
What do the University of Edinburgh Look Out For in students?
Edinburgh admission committee evaluates each admission profile based on the students’ competencies.
Majorly, what the University of Edinburgh look out for in a student are;
- Interpersonal skills.
- Adeptness of students.
- The ability to undertake a course.
To get past the admission committee, here is what you can do to apply and get past the University of Edinburgh acceptance rate;
- Build your profile to a high level of accomplishment in whatever area you excel at. Ensure you show yourself as a leader in your field.
- Focus your application on giving back to the community through high-impact activities.
- Do your best to level up as much as possible in your high school career. At least be in the top 10%.
- Take the time to research about the school before starting your supplemental essays. SHOW rather than tell why you’re a good fit for edinburgh and how you’ll contribute to their community.
How Do I Apply to the University of Edinburgh as an International Student?
The University of Edinburgh receives a large number of admission applications globally.
Applying the tips we gave above will help you stand out from the pool of other great applicants.
To apply to the University of Edinburgh, here are the process you will undergo;
- Choose a degree that matches the objectives of your academic journey.
- Visit the school website and start the application.
- Fill all the necessary details.
- Provide the necessary supporting documents as we have stated above.
- Postgraduate applicants applies directly through the university website.
Before you apply to Edinburgh, do this;
- Ready your documents which include the English language requirements, visa and immigration information.
- Provide two or more essays and research proposals stating your intent and purpose of applying for a particular course in Edinburgh.
- After submission, the university’s admission committee will review and call you for an interview if they’re impressed.
- The interviews and tests are different for international candidates for English language, visa, and immigration reasons.
What Are the English Language Requirements For Application To The University of Edinburgh For International Students?
As a rule of law, all international applicants have to show proof that they can speak and understand the English language.
This is so because all courses in Edinburgh are taught in English.
The accepted English Language Proficiency requirements for international students to study at the University of Edinburgh in 2022 are:
- C1 185 with no subscore less than 169.
- TOEFL 100 with no subscore less than 20.
- IELTS 7.0 with no subscore less than 6.0.
Frequently Asked Questions About The University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate 2022.
What is the University of Edinburgh Known For?
The University of Edinburgh is globally famous for courses such as
- Social science.
Is the University of Edinburgh an Elite University?
In one sentence, the University of Edinburgh is Scotland’s pride institution. It’s the most prestigious college in Scotland.
This can be seen in its consistent rankings as one of the top universities in the world by QS and THE rankings.
Is the University of Edinburgh an Ivy League?
Not at all.
The University of Edinburgh is not an ivy league school, however, its prowess makes it often mistaken as a member of the Ivy League.
However, Edinburgh University is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of Universities.
What Is the Application Fee to Apply to the University of Edinburgh?
International applicants pay an application fee according to the program type they are offering at Edinburgh University.
The most expensive application fee is that of Postgraduate students.
- Bachelor Degrees: 20 GBP
- Postgraduate: 50 GB
What is the Tuition Cost of Edinburgh University For International Students?
Kindly note that the fee structure of courses offered by the university varies. The tuition cost for international students for various courses offered at Edinburgh.
However, on a general note, the tuition fee of Edinburgh students ranges between 33,700-49,000 GBP.
How Many Campuses Are There in the University of Edinburgh?
The University of Edinburgh has five campuses scattered in Edinburgh. They include:
- Easter Bush.
- King’s Buildings.
- Western General Hospital.
- Little France (BioQuarter).
- Central Area (George Square).
Is There Any Form of Financial Aid Available for International Students At Edinburgh?
Absolutely, the list of scholarships offered by the University of Edinburgh is inexhaustible.
Edinburgh University works with major global organizations to offer scholarship opportunities to its international students.
Some of these scholarships include;
- 30 Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship awarded to Ph.D. students.
- Chevening Scholarships awarded to students in politics, business, the media, civil society, religion, and academics.
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship scheme offered to students of commonwealth countries.
NOTE: University of Edinburgh Scholarships are offered based on merit and financial need.
When are the Application Deadlines For The University of Edinburgh Application?
The application deadline for the University of Edinburgh application is;
- Round 1 (6th Oct 2021)
- Round 2 (10th Nov 2021)
- The Round 3 (15th Dec 2021)
M.Sc Computer Science
- Winter (31st Mar 2022)
B.Eng Computer Science
- Fall (26th Jan 2022)
- Term 2 (30th Jun 2021)
B.Eng Civil Engineering
- Fall (26th Jan 2022)
- Term 2 (30th Jun 2021)
- Term 1 (31st Mar 2021)
- Term 1 (31st Mar 2021)
How Many Programs Can You Apply For At University of Edinburgh?
Undergraduate students can apply for up to 5 programs via UCAS.
However, graduate program students can apply for only one PG program.
Can International Students Apply to Edinburgh University?
Yes, international students can apply to Edinburgh University.
What GPA Do I Need To Get Into the University of Edinburgh?
To be considered for admission into the University of Edinburgh applicants should have a GPA of 3.25/4.
What are the SAT/ACT requirements To Get Into the University of Edinburgh?
The SAT requirement to apply for the University of Edinburgh is 1290 with 650 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and 620 minimum in Math.
The ACT requirement for the University of Edinburgh is 27 or above PLUS at least two APs at 4 including required subjects.
The University of Edinburgh remains one of the best schools in Scotland and the world at large.
The University of Edinburgh has a considerable moderate acceptance rate for master’s program for international students in 2022.
Follow through our recommendation on the admission requirements, GPA and test scores to get admission into Edinburgh.
You will definitely be one of those who get into the University of Edinburgh regardless of the 2022 acceptance rate for locals and international students.
We hope the information above helps you in your decision to study at the University of Edinburgh.
Good Luck And Success!!!
- University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate
- The University of Edinburgh [ED] Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
- The University of Edinburgh
- University of Edinburgh