Medical School Scholarships: Are you a med student looking for a medical school scholarship or scholarships for international students to study medicine for free in Canada?
Do you want to find out what the odds are of studying medicine in Canada as an international student?
It’s no longer news that since the outbreak of SARS in 2003, H1N1 flu in 2009, and the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, there has been significant growth in the medical field across the world.
Canada, not being an exception, has pulled medical students from all over the world to assist the control of the pandemic.
Medical science is a fascinating subject, but it is also very expensive. The tuition fees for studying medicine or the associated courses are relatively high.
Many universities in Canada are listed in reputable international databases, and the Canadian Department of Education’s current education program emphasizes increasing the number of international students.
To that effect, many Canadian universities and the Canadian government have approved a good number of medical school scholarships to attract more international students to study medicine in Canada for free.
Without a doubt, this is an incredible opportunity for most students from developing countries to study in Canada.
In that regard, we bring you a detailed med school scholarship available to international students to study medicine for free in Canada.
Keeping in touch with this scholarship is one way to achieve your study in Canada dream.
If that’s what you intend on finding out, allow me to walk you through this possibility which is alien to most international students.
Why Study Medicine in Canada?
Aside from Canada being one of the best study abroad destinations, here are some reasons why studying medicine in Ontario is the best;
- Canada is home to an adverse cultural style.
- Secondly, the country has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. Invariably what this means is that you’re safe in Canada.
- Canadian universities that provide medicine and associated courses have standard and up-to-date research facilities and equipment. This allows medical students to learn better.
- Also, Canada is home to world-class and top-ranking universities in the world.
- In addition, there are varieties of med school and scholarship for international students in Canada.
Which School gives Free Medical Scholarships to International Students in Canada?
Canada is one of the developed countries in the world with world-class institutions.
Their educational system is regarded as one of the best in the world.
Talking about Canada’s medical schools, a lot on the list offers free scholarships to help international students study medicine for free.
Here is a list of universities that offer free and sometimes fully funded medicine scholarships to students from developing countries:
- The University of Waterloo
- McGill University Canada
- University Of Toronto Canada
- Quest University Scholarship
- The University of Manitoba
- York University
- The University of Carleton
- University of British Columbia
- The University of Alberta
- University of Prince Edward Island
- Brandon University
- University of Guelph
- Mount Saint Vincent University
How Do I Apply for Medical School Scholarships in Canada?
To apply for any scholarship for medicine in Canada, you have to get your arsenals ready.
Here is a detailed guide on how to apply for a scholarship for med school as an international student;
#1. Ready Your Documents
Before applying for any med school scholarship in Canada you need to have the following documents;
- CV or resume
- Statement of purpose
- Student visa/study permit
- Letters of recommendation
- A valid ID such as a passport
- Competitive exam scores (SAT, GRE, or GMAT)
- Transcripts or certificates from your previous school
- English language proficiency test scores (IELTS, TOEFL)
#2. Choose a University
Once you have your documents ready, the next is to choose the medical school you want to go to.
You can at least have an option of five.
Then start researching and contacting people about the scholarship.
Furthermore, you can apply for additional external scholarships.
#3. Choose a Medical Course Of Interest
Next is to choose a medical course of choice.
Once you’ve done that, begin your application process online.
Commence your application as soon as possible so that it can be evaluated as quickly as possible.
Via these few simple steps, you are on your way to secure a medical or med school scholarship to study medicine for free in Canada.
List of the Medical School Scholarships for International Students In Canada
Here’s a list of medicine scholarships you can apply to in Canada;
- Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute Scholarship
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program
- National Research Council of Canada (NRCC)
- Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship
- Partnership Grants by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowship
- B. Wiswell Scholarship by Dalhousie University
- J Douglas Scholarship in Community Health and Epidemiology by Queen’s University
- F. Lloyd Roberts Scholarship
- Adiel Steacy Memorial Scholarships by Queen’s University
- AE Bowie Scholarship in Medicine by University of Alberta
- Alan Tarshis and Nancy Goodman Scholarship in Medicine by Dalhousie University
- Albert A. Butler Award in Orthopedics by McGill University
- College of Medicine Graduate Scholarship by University of Saskatchewan
- Douglas and Jean Bailey Scholarship by University of British Columbia
- Donald and Christina Jolly Scholarship in Medicine by University of Alberta
- Alex Peeper Memorial Scholarship by University of Guelph
- Chevening Scholarships in Canada
- York University International Entrance Scholarships
- Prestige Scholarship Program at the University of Carleton
- Quest University Fully-Funded David Strangway International Scholarships
#1. Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute (SICI) Scholarship
The Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute Scholarship is one of the major medical scholarships in Canada for international students. The scholarship is valued at CAD 500-1000 (INR 57 5557) (expenses not borne by the applicant’s home institution and related to a subscription to online meeting services, internet services, telephone, membership fees, or registration fees for entry in the library or laboratory).
- Duration: 8-12 weeks.
- Eligibility: Medical Scholarships in Canada for international students has this particular Canadian scholarship for students studying in Bachelor’s, Master’s, M.Phil degree programmes at accredited Indian universities. Such students are entitled to pursue research at a Canadian university in their fields, which falls under the SICI network.
#2. Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
The Canadian Commonwealth Scholarships include travel expenses, housing allowances, and payment of mandatory tuition fees. These are Graduate Student Exchanges (GSEP) donating US $ 10,000 to Canada.
- Duration:5-6 months.
- Eligibility criteria: This scholarship recognises high-intellect candidates from Commonwealth countries who apply to Master’s and PhD degree advanced study and research programmes.
#3. MasterCard Scholarship: McGill University
If you’re looking for a scholarship for med school in Canada, the McGill University MasterCard scholarship is a good consideration.
This scholarship is open to medical students from sub-Saharan African countries.
All students who want to apply for this scholarship must be willing to apply to McGill University.
This is one medical school scholarship in Canada designed for international students pursuing a masters degree in the Health field and other fields of study.
All fellows who receive the MasterCard Scholarship at McGill University will receive:
- Social Support
- Financial support.
- Academic Support
#4. MasterCard Scholarship: University Of Toronto
Here’s another medical school scholarship for international students who want to go to a med school in Canada.
To apply, you must be from a sub-Saharan African country.
All applicants must be willing to study at the University of Toronto.
Also, it must be an undergraduate program in the Health field and other fields of study.
Furthermore, all applicants who have been offered the MasterCard Scholarship at the University of Toronto will receive:
- Scholarship equivalent to the costs related to attaining a Bachelor’s degree.
- Also the scholarship will cover travel, tuition, textbooks, housing, food, and living expenses.
- Financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support.
- Also all recipients will have access to two unpaid internships. The first is for 3 months in the Toronto area during your second summer to provide local practical work experience and skills. However, theq” second internship will take place in Africa during your third summer.
- In addition, some funds will be made available to you for a passport, if you do not own one.
#5. Quest University Scholarship
The Quest University Scholarship is one of the medical school scholarships for international students in Canada.
There is no restriction as to which country can apply.
All international students wishing to study medicine for free at Quest University are eligible to apply.
However, this medical school scholarship in Canada is open to undergraduate students.
Usually, this scholarship is valued at between $2000 to $15000 per year.
This would cover all the years of study.
#6. Canadian Government Scholarships
Another form of scholarship that affords international students an opportunity to study for medicine for free is the Canadian Government Scholarships.
This medical school scholarship is usually the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship in Canada.
Open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and international students.
However, it’s only open to these sets of persons above who are pursuing graduate studies in health, social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering.
Usually, this scholarship is worth $50,000 per year.
#7. Chevening Scholarships in Canada
Yes, chevening affords many international students who are willing to go to medical school in Canada an opportunity to study on scholarships.
Through a Chevening scholarship, you can study medicine for free in Canada.
Also, this medicine scholarship exists in Canada and international students are eligible to apply.
However, only students who want to pursue postgraduate studies in medicine can apply for the Chevening Scholarship in Canada.
All applicants who are selected for this Chevening Scholarship in Canada will receive:
- A monthly stipend
- An arrival allowance
- The University tuition fees
- The cost of one visa application
- Travel costs to and from Canada
- A homeward departure allowance
- A travel grant to attend Chevening events in Canada
#8. York University International Entrance Scholarships
Another university that offers medical scholarships to international students to study in Canada is York University.
To apply for this medicine scholarship in Canada, you must be an international student regardless of your country.
The York University International Entrance Scholarships is for undergraduate students.
Usually, the York University International Entrance Scholarship is worth $140,000 ($35,000 x 4 years).
#9. Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program
This is not a university scholarship to study medicine.
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program is open to international students who want to study in Canada.
However, it is a graduate scholarship only open to students who want to pursue Masters or Doctoral programs in Ontario province.
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program awards come with so many terms and conditions which affect the scholarship value.
All recipients of this scholarship will either receive;
- $10,000 for 2 consecutive terms of study
- $15,000 for 3 consecutive terms of study
What this means is that one term study periods are not eligible for Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program consideration.
Kindly note that each OGS award lasts for a minimum of one academic year (i.e., 2 consecutive academic terms) and a maximum of two years (i.e., 6 consecutive academic terms).
#10. Quest University Fully-Funded David Strangway International Scholarships
Going further on the list of medical school scholarships for international students to study medicine in Canada for free is the Quest University Fully-Funded David Strangway International Scholarships.
All citizens of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Usually, it’s open to only students pursuing an undergraduate programme.
Although you can study medicine via this scholarship, this scholarship is also open to students who want to study other subjects offered by the university.
By design, the Quest University Fully-Funded David Strangway International scholarships will provide:
- Full tuition for four years.
- Covers accommodation.
- Book allowance
- And other expenses.
Just like the name states, it is a fully-funded scholarship.
#11. Prestige Scholarship Program at the University of Carleton
Another medicine scholarship in Canada is the Prestige Scholarship Program at the University of Carleton.
This scholarship accepts applications from all international students regardless of your nationality.
However, you must be an undergraduate seeking to study at Carleton University.
The prestigious Scholarship program makes available the following for the recipient;
- Ten Chancellor’s Scholarships: $30,000 ($7,500 x four years)
- Seven Richard Lewar Entrance Scholarships: $21,500 ($6,500 in the first year and $5,000 in second, third and fourth year)
- Three Carleton University Scholarships of Excellence: $20,000 ($5,000 x four years)
- Two Carleton University Shad Valley Scholarships of Excellence: $20,000 ($5,000 x four years)
- One Riordon Scholarship: Full tuition in first, second, third, and fourth year
- One Collins Prestige Scholarship: Full tuition in first, second, third, and fourth year
This is one of the medical school scholarships that offers a lot of benefits to international students in Canada.
#12. University of British Columbia International Doctoral Scholarships
The University of British Columbia offers medical scholarships to international students who are pursuing a doctoral degree in Canada.
There is no restriction on which country can apply.
Like the name suggests, this scholarship is open to doctoral students in any field of study including medicine.
All recipients of this scholarship earns;
- $30,000 per annum
- $2,000 allowance for research-related travel during the 24 months of the scholarship.
#13. Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship
The Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship is offered for doctoral programs and offers scholarships valued at $ 25,000 (INR 18,40,177) per year with a possible extension of 12 months and periods of up to 3 years.
Postdoctoral Fellowships: $ 35,000 (INR 25 76,248) and are not renewed for one year. Short-term research or professional development grant: $ 3,000 for four months each month.
- Duration: According to the stage of analysis, importance and period are determined.
- Eligibility Criteria:For students studying in Quebec, the merit of each application is evaluated.
Frequently Asked Questions About Medical School Scholarships in Canada for International Students
Can I Get Scholarship For Medical School in Canada?
Yes, you can.
From the list we have provided above, you can see that there are many scholarships that support your study of medicine for free.
Some are open to undergraduates whereas some are just for students who are pursuing a doctoral degree in medicine.
The duration of the scholarship is dependent on the medical school scholarship.
Also, each medical school scholarships for international students in Canada have their own specific worth.
Do Canadian Medical Schools Accept International Students?
Yes but not all.
Out of the 17 Canadian medical schools, only ten accept applications from international students.
The other 7 have no slots open to international students.
What this means is that only Canadian students can study medicine in these 7 medical schools.
Is Neet Required for MBBS in Canada?
Yes, neet is a mandatory requirement for Indian students to study medicine in Canada.
Only Indian students who want to study in Canada require a meeting for MBBS in Canada.
Also, you just have good NEET scores for pursuing MBBS (Doctor of Medicine) in Canada.
How long is MD in Canada?
Usually, medical school in Canada takes about three-to five-years to complete.
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery (M.D., C.M.) degree takes the same time in Canada.
Which University Gives The Most Scholarship to International Students in Canada?
The University of British Columbia offers most scholarships to their international students in Canada.
Now you can agree with me that studying medicine for free in Canada is very possible.
Although studying in Canada doesn’t come cheap, especially when you’re studying medicine, it remains one of the most coveted destinations for international students.
Taking advantage of these free medical school scholarships for international students to study in Canada, you can have your dream come true.
Kindly go through this list again, visit the scholarship Website and make a choice of the one that suits your educational needs.
If you have any questions please do well to use the comment box below, our team will be more than glad to help you.
- 10 Best Medicine Scholarships In Canada For Students From Developing Countries 2022
- 130 Universities offering Health and Medicine Scholarships in Canada
- Medical Scholarships in Canada for International Students