How to Get a Student Visa to Japan 2022 | The Ultimate Guide

Student Visa to Japan: Are you considering studying in Japan? What are the prerequisites for obtaining a student visa in Japan to study? How can you get ready for it?

Here’s how I applied for a student visa in Japan, and here’s how you can too!

A student visa is required if you plan to study in Japan for more than 90 days.


You’ll need this form of visa to enter Japan if you’re on an exchange program or have been accepted directly into a Japanese university or junior college.

This article is a full guide on how you can get a student visa to Japan with little or no stress. All you have to do is follow through these steps and you’re good to go.

Can I Go to Japan on a Student Visa?

With a Student Visa, we can enroll for up to two years in any Japanese school.

A student visa is one that Japanese language schools, universities, and vocational schools accept. The residency status will be “Student.”

A Student Visa is valid for 6 months to a maximum of 2 years from the date of arrival, depending on the length of time spent studying.

Depending on your enrollment time, you can renew your Student Visa and extend your stay.

If you have permission to conduct activities other than those listed in your visa status, you can work part-time for up to 28 hours per week. However, there are limitations on the types of tasks that can be done.


If you want to apply for a Student Visa in Japan, you must submit all required papers through our school to the Japanese Immigration Bureau.

The verification of papers takes time, and the Student Visa takes roughly 6 months to get.

Please contact us as soon as possible if you require any additional paperwork or procedures.

How Long Does It Take to Get a Student Visa in Japan?

Student Visa to Japan
Student Visa to Japan

The application process for the Student Visa might take anything from 5 to 10 business days.

The application for the Certificate of Eligibility, on the other hand, can take up to three months.

What is the Duration of the Japan Student Visa?

Student visas are issued for the following periods of time in Japan:

  • a period of six months
  • One calendar year
  • Three months and a year
  • a period of two years
  • Two years and three months have passed.

The length of time you are permitted to stay in Japan is specified on both your Landing Permission and your Residence Card.

You can, however, seek a stay extension before your existing visa expires, regardless of the length of your issued visa.

Extending a Student Visa in Japan

You can apply for a Japan Extension of Stay at the local Immigration Office up to 90 days before your visa expires. When you apply, you’ll need the following documents:

  • Application Form for Japan Visa Extension
  • Your passport
  • Passport-size pictures with the following specifications:
  • Dimensions: 4cm x 3cm
  • Taken within the last three months
  • Plain and light-colored background, without any patterns and shadows
  • You must be starting straight ahead, with a neutral facial expression
  • Your face has to be fully visible
  • The picture must be good quality (focused, clear, and sharp)
  • Your Residence Card
  • a photocopy of your educational institution’s Registration Certificate
  • a copy of your educational institution’s certificate of completion
  • You must show proof that you can meet the financial obligations associated with your stay.

Within two weeks to a month, the application for a Visa Extension is processed.

What is the Cost of a Student Visa in Japan?

The following are the visa fees for Japan:

  • 3,000 Yen for a single-entry visa
  • 6,000 Yen for a double-entry or multiple-entry visa.
  • 700 yen for a transit visa

You must, however, pay the visa cost only if your application is approved.

Keep in mind the following:

The cost of a visa varies depending on the nation, the reason for your visit, and the local currency.

How Can I Get Student Visa for Japan?

A student visa is required if you intend to study in Japan for more than three months.

Getting a visa, like any other immigration procedure, entails a lot of paperwork, application processing, and visits to an imposing-looking embassy complex.

The good news is that obtaining a Japanese student visa is one of the most straightforward procedures, and we will assist you throughout the process.

Contact us if you have any issues with obtaining a student visa in Japan.

This information is based on the assumption that you are applying from outside the United States.

If you currently have a visa to live in Japan, you should be able to convert it to a student visa, though you may need to furnish immigration with a motivation letter.

We do not advocate attempting to change your visa as a tourist; instead, you should return home and apply at the consulate.

Let’s see the steps:

#1. Figure out the visa you’ll need.

The type of visa you’ll require is determined by how long you’ll be studying in Japan:

Short-term courses up to 90 days:

Many countries are eligible for visa-free visits to Japan for up to 90 days.

When you arrive in Japan, you will receive a sticker in your passport indicating that you are permitted to stay in the country for 90 days. You may, for example, attend a language course in Japan during that time.

Learn more about which nationalities are eligible for visa-free travel to Japan. You must have a return ticket within 90 days if you travel on a visa waiver.

More than 90 days but less than 20 weeks:

Citizens of select countries, such as Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, can extend their stay in Japan by 90 days by submitting an application to the Ministry of Justice before their initial 90 days have ended (read more on the link above).

Stays of this length are more difficult for other nations. Because most schools would not issue a student visa for fewer than 20 weeks, your only option is to undertake a “visa run,” which entails remaining in Japan for 90 days, traveling to a nearby country like Korea, and then returning to Japan for another 90 days.

The Japanese authorities dislike this technique, but it usually works without a hitch the first time. However, for longer stays, you should apply for a student visa. To do so, you must have purchased your exit ticket when you initially arrived in Japan.

Long-term programs are available

For courses lasting 20 weeks (two quarters) or longer, you can and should apply for a student visa using the procedure outlined below.

To obtain a student visa to Japan, applicants must be at least 18 years old and have completed high school or equivalent with a minimum of 12 years of schooling.

#2. Submit an application to a Japanese school.

It’s time to apply to a Japanese school once you’ve selected how long you want to study. If you plan to enroll in a long-term course and need a student visa, you must apply through your institution.

Their visa application deadline is usually about five months before the course begins, so make sure you apply early enough to ensure you have the time to complete all of the necessary paperwork.

High-ranking language schools and universities may accept applications at any time.

You can skip to step 8 if you are simply taking a short-term visa waiver course in Japan.

Fill out an inquiry form so that we can assist you in finding language schools in Japan.

#3. Complete the visa application materials provided by the school.

It takes several steps to apply for a student visa in Japan. To begin, you must complete various visa application forms and send them to your institution. The school then double-checks that your application is complete before rewriting it and submitting it to Japan’s immigration officials.

Then you’ll acquire a Certificate of Eligibility (step 4) that you’ll require for your visa application’s last stage.

When you apply to a school, you will be sent (or asked to download) the following paperwork to fill out and submit to the school:

  • You fill out an application form with information about yourself and the course. Always write your name exactly as it appears on your passport.
  • Fill in your educational and career history on this personal history form. Fill in as much information as you can. Any gaps in the timeline will need to be explained. You will also need to fill out some information about your family members on this form or a different form.
  • The purpose of your application essay is to demonstrate why you wish to study in Japan. Write more than 1-2 phrases, and if you’re a little older, include how your education in Japan will help you advance in your job.
  • Your diploma and transcript from your most recent school, translated into English or Japanese.
  • If relevant, a certificate of previous Japanese studies.
  • a copy of the photo page of your passport
  • The average number of passport photos required by schools is eight. However, digital pictures are now accepted by a few schools.
  • Medical history: Some colleges need a medical history or a tuberculosis screening, although many do not.

More Visa Application Materials

  • You must also demonstrate that you have the financial means to pay for your education and support yourself in Japan. In most cases, you’ll need to submit the following:
  • A letter of remittance in which you declare how much money you will have in Japan and whether it will be your money or that of a guarantor. The money you list should be enough to cover your tuition and living expenses.
  • A bank account balance certificate demonstrating that you or your guarantor have sufficient funds (usually at least 1600000 Yen).
  • You or your sponsor must provide proof of work.
  • You or your guarantor must swear or guarantee in writing that you will pay the requisite costs.

Because schools construct their own application documents, more or less documentation may be required at times.

We understand that it may appear daunting, but simply follow the directions and fill in what you can. The school will then go over your paperwork and notify you if anything is missing.

#4. Get your Certificate of Eligibility CoE

After your application has been accepted by the school, it will be sent to the immigration authorities.

They’ll send you a Certificate of Enrollment, or CoE, about a month before your course starts, which you’ll need for step 5.

As soon as the CoE is granted and you have paid for your first semesters, the school will mail it to you. Make sure the school has your right address on file and that you pay on time.

The Japanese immigration officials can theoretically refuse you a CoE, however, this is nearly never the case for Western students.

However, if you apply late, your application is incomplete, or you are simply unfortunate, your CoE may arrive towards the start of your course, putting you under time pressure.

Do everything you can to avoid this.

#5. Submit an application to the Japanese Embassy in your own country.

Making a visa application at the Japanese Embassy in your home country is the final step in obtaining a student visa to Japan.

In most cases, you’ll need to submit the following:

  • Your Certificate of Excellence
  • Your travel document
  • A photograph for a passport
  • A visa application form that may be completed digitally or by hand in block letters. Unless they have advised you otherwise, write your school as guarantor “Guarantor or reference in Japan.”

Different nationalities may be subject to different rules, so please double-check with the Japanese Embassy in your country.

Please note that unless your school has specifically advised you otherwise, you must finish this process and obtain your visa before arriving in Japan.

#6. Obtain a Visa

Finally, you’ve completed your task!

If you submit a comprehensive application, the Japanese Embassy will nearly always issue you a visa.

They can, however, refuse you if the information is inadequate or if you have a major criminal background, for example.

The time it takes varies depending on where you apply, but you should apply at least two weeks before your trip to Japan.

#7. When should you fly to Japan and when should you book your tickets?

It’s time to fly to Japan and begin your education! You might be wondering what the best time is to book your flight tickets.

The Japanese government advises that you do not book your flights until you have received your visa (step 6).

However, because the danger of visa denial for Western students is quite low after the school has approved your application (after step 3), many students choose to book their tickets at that time to save money.

Because immigration can be slow, we recommend booking a re-bookable ticket or booking a flight the weekend before your course begins if you book your tickets before receiving your visa.

Students from impoverished countries should wait until their visas are verified before purchasing tickets, as they are more likely to be denied.

#8. Landing card and work permit upon arrival in Japan

When you arrive in Japan, you will be given a landing card to fill out (see the image below). Make sure you have all of the relevant information.

You might write Other: study in the Purpose of Visit field.

If you arrive on a visa waiver, you may be asked more questions about your plans, but as long as you answer truthfully and don’t plan to stay in Japan for more than 90 days, you should be alright.

Also, if you write tourism, they are unlikely to ask any questions unless you want to remain for an extended period of time. If you are doing a visa run, I recommend that you seek advice from your institution.

If you have a student visa and want to work in Japan, you should apply for a work permit (Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted) at immigration when you arrive.

Then you can receive it right away when else it will require some time and effort. You can download the application for a work permit at the airport here.

Student visa holders will normally receive their Residence Card, your Japanese identification card, at passport control, which you should keep with you at all times while in Japan on a student visa.

Yes, Japanese bureaucracy can drive anyone insane, but believe me when I say that it is worth it to give you the opportunity to study in Japan.

Key Note:

Please be aware that the Japanese authorities have the authority to amend the visa application process at any time without informing us. Different laws may apply to different countries, so read your school’s guidelines carefully.

To the best of our knowledge, the information in the preceding article is correct, but we cannot be held liable for any errors that may occur without our knowledge.

When in doubt, trust official sources and double-check with them if necessary.

How Long Can I Stay in Japan with a Student Visa?

International students are permitted to stay in Japan for 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 1 year and 3 months, 2 years, 2 years and 3 months, 3 years, 3 years and 3 months, 4 years, or 4 years and 3 months, with the visa status of “Student.”

Working in Japan with a Student Visa

A Japanese Student Visa does not grant you the right to work. To work in Japan, you must first get a Work Permit from the local Immigration Office.

Furthermore, as a Student Visa holder, you are limited to working no more than 28 hours a week and certain occupations are prohibited, such as working in a bar, club, adult stores or hotels, massage parlors, and so on.

You can apply to modify the category of your visa from student to work once you graduate, allowing you to work. You will, however, require an employment contract to do so.

How Can I Change a Student Visa to a Work Visa in Japan?

If you are an overseas student in Japan who finds work while on a Student Visa or after graduation, you must seek to alter your visa type to a Work Visa.

By submitting the necessary paperwork to one of Japan’s local Immigration Offices, you and your new employer can apply for a Japan Work Visa:

  • Form for requesting authorization to change one’s resident status
  • A copy of your passport as well as your passport
  • Your Identity Card
  • Proof of Graduation on your CV (diploma)
  • Proof of prior academic and/or professional experience
  • Your college or university Transcripts
  • A copy of your Employment Contract, which outlines the terms and conditions of your employment.
  • Documents from your previous employer, such as:
    • Registration Documents
    • Financial statements of the latest Fiscal Year
    • Income statements


Applying for a Japanese student visa is simple if you have all of the necessary documents and follow this ultimate guide above.



Leave a Comment